Legacy Code and Other Nightmares

Legacy Code - A large chunk of code some other programmer(s) wrote, that you now have to deal with.  My homework this week and the lectures from last week, deal with the subject of legacy code and while I hate trying to read another programmers mind, just by looking at code, especially when that code is several thousand lines of code.  I am grateful that I am presented with this type of challenge, While at this stage of my Learning Journey.

My Other Nightmare - Cucumber, the homework is supposed to be accomplished with Test Driven Devolpment, using Cucumber. Which I tried to do but it was very slow going and the amount of good Cucumber tutorials is underwhelming. I spent a great deal of time figuring out how to write tests using Cucumber.  Maybe I will love Cucumber once I learn how to use it... ...If I ever learn it.

This week was difficult overall,
I did not complete the homework, I feel like I have made a great deal of progress, but I have not finished it yet.
I pair programmed once this week.
I watched the lectures videos.
I created a Github Repo but only pushed up part of chapter 3 of Michael Hartl Rails Tutorial
I did add Josh as a Collaborator on Github, which I hope will allow Josh the access he needs.
I created a simple logo design  and applied it to my blog, a bit short of the goal but a step in the right direction.
I did not touch the second half of the Railscast #155 Cucumber Tutorial Substitutions.

With my basic goals, I fell short,
While I did pair program once this week, I only logged a total of 17 hours this week, for a total of 237.25 hours.  Ouch, four hours short.
It is very early Monday when I write this Blog so I am only slightly tardy on the blog and the Twitter share.

My Agenda Goals for this week.
  • Complete Last week's Homework for class.
  • Complete This week's Homework for class.
  • Watch the two previous weeks of lecture videos.
  • Watch this week's lecture videos.
  • Finish pushing up chapter 3 of Michael Hartl Rails Tutorial app.
  • Make some significant progress on my Uno Game.
So here again are my Weekly Basic Goals.
  • Pair program at least once a week.
  • Study a minimum of 21 hours a week.
  • Publish my weekly blog by the end of Sunday.
  • Share it on Twitter

1 comment: